At Headsweats we know it can be tough to find time to work out. We also know that your running time is an important time for you to de-stress but what’s a Mom to do when your running routine clashes with quality time with your little one? Though you may wince at the thought of bringing your little one on your run with you, we’ve compiled a list of tips that will help make running with your toddler a fun and quality time.
- Let your little guy know that this is your special time in order to get as much cooperation as possible. Don’t expect to be able to run your max the first few times you do this. Find out what both your limits are without causing any meltdowns by starting on the small side – maybe just two or three miles at first.
- Make sure that both of you are completely comfortable. Choosing a good jogging stroller is key in avoiding issues for either of you.
- Make a game out of it. Choose your running outfits together (along with your Headsweats running hat or visor), going through a checklist of running needs and allowing him/her to choose a stuffed animal to take along if desired. Allow a special snack and even special running music to take along.
- Point out special landmarks and parts of the run where special things happen. Build anticipation before you begin by creating a counting game: “If we find 8 black birds today, we…” make it fun for them and it will be more fun for you.
- Make sure that you are also keeping both of you comfortable by wearing a quality running cap or hat that helps to shade your eyes, keep you cool and your sweat out of your eyes.