Headsweats Athlete, David Wronski, Completes 150 Mile Coastal Trail

Headsweats Athlete, David Wronski, Completes 150 Mile Coastal Trail

We have the joy of getting to meet so many incredible athletes and hearing their stories. Most recently, Headsweats-sponsored athlete, David Wronski, successfully ran 150 miles of the uncompleted Coastal Trail route. Since there are no trail races in the U.S. longer than 135 miles, David decided to begin creating his own running adventures. His goal in completing the 150 mile non-stop run is to break his previous record of 135 miles. David was kind enough to share his experience with us and we have given a little excerpt here on our blog. For the full story visit David’s Facebook page or website.

The first day was incredibly enjoyable, including a short walk/run on the beach, running probably the best single track section of the entire coastal trail with Michael, and just enjoying constant ocean views for hours on end. In addition to the scenery, even the smell of the air was so refreshing and clean. After only about 7-8 hours of running the sunlight was already about to disappear, and that’s when I watched the first of two amazing sunsets that weekend. The clouds above the ocean turned bright red, while the water became a deep purple; I needed to appreciate the first sunset because I knew I wouldn’t be in such a “comfortable” state for the second one. Going into the first night my legs and feet were feeling fairly good. I decided I would try to complete the first 50 miles in 10-11 hours which, thanks to some rolling hills and ideal conditions, I was successful in doing so. By the beginning of the first night, Dawn and Michael were still my only crew, and since I wanted them to get some sleep I decided to continue on my own. This was probably the most surreal and enjoyable experience I had; running down the middle of the highway completely by myself, without a car in sight, looking at the black open ocean and a yellow moon above me. Having the support of a strong team is essential for successfully finishing adventures like this, but the enjoyment of being completely alone with nature especially at nightcan be unforgettable. It was so quiet at times I could hear a car coming from miles away. Sometimes the waves hitting the rocky coast were so loud I turned around thinking it may be a truck I somehow didn’t hear coming up behind me. After my friends Eugenie and Anthony joined us, Anthony and I ran 12-15 miles in the dark, we were now a team of 5; ready to begin the second day.

In the early morning hours of the second day, we were approaching the Bodega Bay area along the coast. I was expecting the weather (according to the forecasts) to be around 50-60s during the day, and mid-upper 30s at night. However, I, along with my team, were unpleasantly surprised to encounter temperatures as low as 24 degrees in some valley areas. I was wearing almost every item of warm clothing I had brought, and was still near shivering if I began to walk. The water in my hand bottles became so cold it would almost hurt to swallow, and my face became numb quickly. Fortunately I had Dawn running with me to share the frigid experience. We made it through the early morning hours, and was very pleased to see the faint pink sky that signaled the coming sunrise.

During the morning hours of the second day, and after dealing with some foot issues, I soon realized I was going to be closing in on the 100 mile mark sometime in the early afternoon. Mentally I tried to take everything in 10 mile increments, and this allowed me to run the first 100 miles in 26 hours and 30 minutes (my fastest 100 by around 7hours). I was very pleased with this pace, but knew in the back of my mind there was along and extremely difficult 50 miles ahead of me in Marin County. By the afternoon/early evening of the second day we had our complete team, ready to finish this adventure together.

To read the rest of Dave’s experience visit his Facebook page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *