We thought it was only fair, after posting blogs on different types of 5k events and then mud and obstacle races throughout the country, that we should focus on this year’s lineup of cycling events across the United States. We know an awful lot of you that would rather spend your time on wheels rather than pounding the pavement, plus there are those of you who like to do both, God help ya. So here it is: a breakdown of what we think are truly awesome cycling events for the remainder of 2014. Remember to always wear safety gear and cycling caps from Headsweats. Complete race information can be found at individual race websites.
5. Maine Lighthouse Ride – With four distances available at 25, 42, 65 and 100 miles, this ride, along the coast of Maine allows riders to take in views of several different lighthouses along the way. Register soon though as this ride is limited to the first 1000 riders.
4. Tour De Frost – For those empathetic and charitable riders looking to make a difference for the less fortunate among us, this race in Rockford, Illinois is a 25 mile bone-chilling jaunt.
3. Solvang Century – Winding through the hills of Santa Barbara County in California, the Solvang Century is considered one of the finest century rides in the nation with its 5 star route. Plan for a BBQ and party afterwards with a massage therapist on hand.
2. 3 State 3 Mountain – Beginning and ending in host city Chattanooga, Tennessee, the century ride traverses three mountains through 3 states. Or choose lesser distance rides of 85, 62, or 31 miles.
1. Colorado Death Ride – 16,500 vertical feet, 232 miles and 5 mountain passes over a 3 day ride. This ride, though brutal takes cyclists through some of the most beautiful country this nation has to offer.